Chef Carlos has to step up his game to produce winning meals and recipes when tasked with feeding a house full of hungry, active, and on-the-move women at Delta Gamma at Northwestern University.
Chef Carlos prepped an excellent serving of Pesto Chicken, a fantastic sandwich for this particular lunchtime meal. Here’s his recipe:
Yield: 4 servings
1 (16-ounce) package chicken tenders, rinsed and patted dry
1/2 cup pesto
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 (16-ounce) loaf ciabatta bread, sliced in half horizontally
4 slices mozzarella or provolone cheese
1 cup spinach, rinsed and patted dry
2 tomatoes, sliced
15 fresh basil leaves
– In a plastic bag, combine chicken tenders and 1/4 cup pesto, set aside, and let sit for 15 minutes.
– In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup pesto and mayonnaise—spread mixture on both sides of the ciabatta; set aside.
– Preheat an oiled grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill chicken tenders for 5 minutes per side.
– Remove and let rest for 5 minutes—re-oil the pan.
– Place cheese, spinach, tomato, basil, and chicken on the bottom piece of bread. Place the top of the bread on and grill for 3 minutes per side or until the cheese melts.
– Cut into 4 portions and serve.