what great food means to us
Campus Cooks’ team of chefs are never satisfied with serving the same few meals to their houses; they do research, share recipes with each other, and spend hours creating one-of-a-kind dishes exclusively for the Greeks they serve. We pride ourselves on preparing healthy, nutritious meals with fresh ingredients, and creating monthly menus with input from house members that are varied and exciting.
The following standards have been created to assure the highest level of food quality for our guests:
- Menus are written based on seasonality and availability of regional fresh product. Whenever possible, these are produced locally using sustainable and organic practices.
- Seasonal produce charts and weekly market reports are utilized in writing menus focusing on products in peak season.
- Our Pro*Act produce partners source local products within a 250-mile radius.
- Tracking of produce down to the very row in the field and alert notifications for product recalls.
- Our goal is 20-30% of all products sourced, are through our produce partners.
- Menus are also written based on feedback from the chapter members during menu meetings, which are held weekly, and participation is strongly encouraged.
- Turkey and chicken are produced without the routine use of antibiotics as a feed additive.
- Vegetarian options are plentiful at every meal.
- MSG is never used in the preparation of our food.
- Vegetables are prepared in batches at the last possible minute and served in the smallest possible batches.
- Mashed potatoes are made from fresh potatoes.
Finding Fresh, Local Ingredients
We strongly believe in food made from scratch with fresh ingredients. We procure region-specific ingredients and locally sourced products through the following:
- Vendors: Our relationship with Pro*Act, a national vendor, is partnered with 72 local produce vendors around the nation to increase purchasing power and ensure that all local products are sourced within a 250-mile radius of their destination on campus.
- Student Farms: Our partnership with student farms such as the UGArden and Purdue Student Farm utilize greens that are grown so local, they are grown on campus and delivered straight to the chapter that we service.
- Local Farmers’ Markets: Your chef shops specifically for you and is encouraged to shop locally as often as possible.
Campus Cooks’ clients experience healthy, high quality food options members often brag about to their family and friends.
ANOther success story: SERVING AMAZING FOOD
This chapter’s Student Leadership and House Corp are receiving a high volume of complaints about the food. Members are not happy with the lack of quality and variety. They saw better options when visiting local establishments and other chapters on campus.
After looking at a number of alternatives, the chapter contracted Campus Cooks, because of our established reputation and the training and culinary experience of our chefs. The chapter also liked our utilization of fresh, locally sourced products and the communication we establish between the chef and the chapter.
The chapter is no longer receiving complaints, and compliments have taken their place! Everyone is eating healthier and enjoying the wide variety of menu selections. What was once a negative distraction is now a chapter recruiting and member retention asset.